- Picture Frame
- Galvanized Metal
- Primer (For Shiny Surfaces)
- Chalk Board Paint (Roll on NOT Spray)
- Paint Roller
- Steel Wool or Fine Sandpaper
- Old Rag
I started my project off by this picture frame (which I believe is from Ikea). I love the white trim and the large size of the frame, I knew it would be perfect for my magnetic chalk board.
I took out the paper inside the frame (which conveniently had the size written on it) and went to my local home hardware. I purchased a piece of galvanized metal which they cut to size for me. The metal came to me rolled up and taped. When I got it home I carefully removed the tape and left it alone to flatten (I had hoped).
The first step I took was to rub steel wool all over the shiny surface. It wasn’t anything to labor intensive, just a light sanding. After that I washed the entire surface with TSP. For the water to TSP ratio, follow the instructions on the back of the bottle. Once the surface had dried I began to prime with a roller. I followed the directions exactly and did two coats, waiting 8 hours in between.
Next came the chalk board paint! Now if you are wondering why I used roll on instead of spray paint, it’s because the back of the spray paint bottle said it wasn’t for use on galvanized metal. I used a roller to apply the chalkboard paint, and once again, I followed the directions on the back exactly. I can’t remember the exact number of coats I put on it but I believe it was 2 – 4 and I waited 4 hours in between. On the back it says you need to allow 3 days before writing on the chalkboard so make sure to factor that time in.
In some parts of the chalk board I got these bubbles. I am no painting expert so I cannot tell you why. I don’t think it was a bad mix of primer/paint because the expert paint lady at home hardware helped me pick it out. I am thinking it was the roller, but who knows. Anywho, at the time they looked scary, but those bubbly parts weren’t very visible to begin with, and now after a month of use, I don’t even notice them anymore.
Once the chalkboard paint had completely dried I put the galvanized metal into the frame. It’s still got quite a bend in it so after I put the backing on again, I placed heavy books on top to flatten it down. I finished it off by putting the nails back in place and left the heavy books overnight.
Fast forward to today and so far, this thing is holding up great! I love the way it looks in our toy room and the girls really enjoy playing with it.