This beautiful colored rice is great for sensory play and crafts (like my Rainbow I Spy Bottle). You can make this fun vibrant colored rice it at home with a few simple ingredients that you probably already have at home!
- White Rice
- Club House Food Coloring (Neon & Regular)
- Plastic bags or containers
Open one of your plastic bags (or containers) and add 1 tsp of vinegar. After that (and I do mean after because if you are making several batches you will find yourself second guessing if you actually added the vinegar) add 40 drops of Club House Food Coloring (appproximately 1/2 teaspoon) and swish around the mixture.
Add one cup of rice to your mixture, leave some air in the bag and then seal it up and vigorously shake it until the color is well mixed (about 20 seconds). Leave your rice in the bag and repeat for any other colors you have.
For my colors I used two different boxes of food coloring; Club House Neon Food Coloring Neon & Club House Food Coloring. Pictured from left to right I used pink (neon), yellow & red to make orange (regular), yellow (regular), green (neon), blue (neon), purple (neon).
Keep the rice sealed in the bag and it will absorb all of the color. The rice should be completely dry within 2-3 hours.
Here are just some quick helpful pieces of info:
- One individual bottle of food coloring will stretch to make approximately 4.5 cups of rice. One box of food coloring normally comes with 4 colors, so you will yield approximately 18 cups of colored rice for one box of food coloring.
- When you are at the end of your food coloring, stretch it further by cutting off the top with scissors and add the vinegar into the remnants, swish it around and add it to the bag.
- For the orange color, follow the directions on the back. For mine it was 36 drops of yellow and 4 drops of red.
That is about it! Just want to give a quick shout out to Happy Hooligans, their recipe was what got me started and I changed things up from there to make this recipe.